Home / For God's sake  
Image of For God's sake

Possibly suggesting that religious beliefs were necessary for maintaining social order, Voltaire once wrote: "If God did not exist, he would have to be invented." Karl Marx agreed, calling it the "opium" of the masses. Yet, throughout history, religion has been used for both social order and disorder. For example, actions are sometimes taken in the name of God to help those who suffer from homelessness, hunger, or sickness. There are studies that suggest religion helps those who are depressed, and even studies that suggest kids with religious parents are better behaved and adjusted than other children. However, many innocent people have been murdered in the name of God. In fact, religious wars abound throughout history. Additionally, considering the power that religion has to proselytize its particular moral sanctions, religion can also be considered at odds with the power of government in that both religious leaders and politicians are competing for the power to control the actions of others. Putting aside whether or not an all-knowing, supernatural being exists, is society better-off having religion as a belief system?


A new Ipsos poll commissioned for the November 26th Munk Debates on Religion in Toronto Canada featuring Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens has found that the world is evenly divided on one of history's most vexing questions: is religion a force for good in the world?

When the debate framing question was put to 18,192 citizens of 23 nations worldwide, half (48%) agreed that "religion provides the common values and ethical foundations that diverse societies need to thrive in the 21st Century" whereas the other half (52%) agreed that "deeply held religious beliefs promote intolerance, exacerbate ethnic divisions, and impede social progress in developing and developed nations alike.

Ipsos Global @dvisory: Is Religion A Force For Good In The World? Combined Population of 23 Major Nations Evenly Divided in Advance of Blair, Hitchens Debate

(You can find the full transcript of the debate between Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens here and the video of the debate here)


Original posting by Braincrave Second Life staff on Feb 26, 2011 at http://www.braincrave.com/viewblog.php?id=484

You need to be logged in to comment.
search only within braincrave

About braincrave


We all admire beauty, but the mind ultimately must be stimulated for maximum arousal. Longevity in relationships cannot occur without a meeting of the minds. And that is what Braincrave is: a dating venue where minds meet. Learn about the thoughts of your potential match on deeper topics... topics that spawn your own insights around what you think, the choices you make, and the actions you take.

We are a community of men and women who seek beauty and stimulation through our minds. We find ideas, education, and self-improvement sexy. We think intelligence is hot. But Braincrave is more than brains and I.Q. alone. We are curious. We have common sense. We value and offer wisdom. We experiment. We have great imaginations. We devour literacy. We are intellectually honest. We support and encourage each other to be better.

You might be lonely but you aren't alone.

Sep, 2017 update: Although Braincrave resulted in two confirmed marriages, the venture didn't meet financial targets. Rather than updating our outdated code base, we've removed all previous dating profiles and retained the articles that continue to generate interest. Moving to valME.io's platform supports dating profiles (which you are welcome to post) but won't allow typical date-matching functionality (e.g., location proximity, attribute similarity).

The Braincrave.com discussion group on Second Life was a twice-daily intellectual group discussions typically held at 12:00 PM SLT (PST) and 7:00 PM SLT. The discussions took place in Second Life group chat but are no longer formally scheduled or managed. The daily articles were used to encourage the discussions.

Latest Activity