Home / Are safety and freedom opposites?  
Image of Are safety and freedom opposites?

When it comes to protecting civil liberties, it just keeps getting worse. The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is now testing what it calls Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST). It is purportedly designed to identify people who intend to commit a terrorist act.

It has been compared to the 'pre-crime' technology used in the movie Minority Report. Without touching you, the technology detects physiological properties to judge a person's state of mind and malicious intent. In other words, anywhere you walk, the technology could be reading your physiology and making judgments as to whether or not you should be questioned and/or arrested. According to one source, the DHS claims the technology is accurate 70% of the time and "the other 30 percent will probably get out of Guantanamo Bay in a couple of years."

Is nothing sacred anymore when it comes to civil liberties? When will you say "enough is enough?" Do you think this technology makes us safer? Does it even matter if the technology works or not - should this kind of technology even be in use? Is the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" not even considered by governments anymore? Is that which keeps us safe also keeping us free?

You could soon be taking part in a novel security programme that can supposedly 'sense' whether you are planning to commit a crime.

Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST), a US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) programme designed to spot people who are intending to commit a terrorist act, has in the past few months completed its first round of field tests at an undisclosed location in the northeast, Nature has learned.

Like a lie detector, FAST measures a variety of physiological indicators, ranging from heart rate to the steadiness of a person's gaze, to judge a subject's state of mind. But there are major differences from the polygraph. FAST relies on non-contact sensors, so it can measure indicators as someone walks through a corridor at an airport, and it does not depend on active questioning of the subject.

The tactic has drawn comparisons with the science-fiction concept of 'pre-crime', popularized by the film Minority Report, in which security services can detect someone's intention to commit a crime.

Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States. Screening system aims to pinpoint passengers with malicious intentions


Original posting by Braincrave Second Life staff on Jun 2, 2011 at http://www.braincrave.com/viewblog.php?id=569

You need to be logged in to comment.
search only within braincrave

About braincrave


We all admire beauty, but the mind ultimately must be stimulated for maximum arousal. Longevity in relationships cannot occur without a meeting of the minds. And that is what Braincrave is: a dating venue where minds meet. Learn about the thoughts of your potential match on deeper topics... topics that spawn your own insights around what you think, the choices you make, and the actions you take.

We are a community of men and women who seek beauty and stimulation through our minds. We find ideas, education, and self-improvement sexy. We think intelligence is hot. But Braincrave is more than brains and I.Q. alone. We are curious. We have common sense. We value and offer wisdom. We experiment. We have great imaginations. We devour literacy. We are intellectually honest. We support and encourage each other to be better.

You might be lonely but you aren't alone.

Sep, 2017 update: Although Braincrave resulted in two confirmed marriages, the venture didn't meet financial targets. Rather than updating our outdated code base, we've removed all previous dating profiles and retained the articles that continue to generate interest. Moving to valME.io's platform supports dating profiles (which you are welcome to post) but won't allow typical date-matching functionality (e.g., location proximity, attribute similarity).

The Braincrave.com discussion group on Second Life was a twice-daily intellectual group discussions typically held at 12:00 PM SLT (PST) and 7:00 PM SLT. The discussions took place in Second Life group chat but are no longer formally scheduled or managed. The daily articles were used to encourage the discussions.

Latest Activity